Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

    SPOILER ALERT!!!

    The more I thought about it, the more I had to let off some steam about this flick. What is Marvel Films trying to do, ruin their fan base? First off the kill Professor X in X-Men 3, then they just totally demolish what could have been a great story in Spiderman 3, and now, for the icing on the cake, they make the Surfer look like the biggest freaking patsy in the new Fantastic Four movie. I should have seen it coming. The first of the movie started out ok, but then dragged on at a painfully slow pace until the Surfer arrived on Earth. I thought it would pick up. It did, until they decided that Doctor Doom had to show up. Seems Marvel didn't learn their lesson that multiple villains in a movie just does not work. They were trying to combine storylines from when Galactus arrives to destroy the Earth and Doctor Doom stealing the Surfers' powers. It did nothing but weaken the whole story. And why they made the Surfer into such a patsy I'll never know. Separating him from his board because the board was the source of his power? I do not think so. The board is his means of locomotion, no more. And having him tied down, being injected with needles...c'mon, he's a herald of Galactus! He's one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe. And Galactus in the form of a cloud? But what really took the cake was the ending. The Surfer flew to the center of the cloud and self destructed, destroying Galactus. Now do you honestly think that when Galactus transformed Norrin Radd into the Surfer, he would have given him enough power to destroy his creator? Be logical about it! Then when the end credits started to roll, they interrupted, then it showed a scene near Earth, showing the Surfer floating unconscious in space. Nothing more than a setup for the next movie or a spin off with the Surfer. Nothing but an attempt to squeeze the public for another buck.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner SBG's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

    If by Professor X you mean Charles Xavier (I hope I spelled that right), they did a credits interruption on him, as well. Do you remember the scene where he talks about the patient on the monitor and the ethics of super imposing your consciousness upon him (or something to that effect)? They interrupted the credits and showed a scene of the patient calling the nurse's name and she was shocked and said Xavier's name.

    Honestly, I never read the comics and like the movies. But I never thought about the points you present until now. While I agree with you, I have to wonder if they really could do any of these movies justice in 90 to 120 minutes. It's kind of like the Harry Potter movies. With the time and other constraints involved it's impossible to fit the whole story into the movie.

    But I also have to think these movies are pumped out more for the general public who's numbers far outweigh those of the loyal comic book fans. So they, like myself, wouldn't have thought or known about it until somebody else brought it up. Ignorance of the facts makes the movie more enjoyable. And yes, you hit the nail on the head, it's all about the buck.

    I can't complain, though, I didn't pay to see it. Watched the bootleg available on the net. LOL
    [LEFT][IMG]http://www.dsslexius.net/forums/images/smilies/goneinsanegif.gif[/IMG][/LEFT]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Separating him from his board because the board was the source of his power? I do not think so. The board is his means of locomotion, no more. </div></div>

    It wasn't the source of his power but did bind him to earth if you remember for the comic here the Surfer meets the Fantastic Four. Touched by their nobility, he chooses to rebel against Galactus and attempts to prevent his master from consuming the planet. Galactus is eventually driven off, but as punishment for this rebellion he confines the Surfer to the planet with an invisible barrier that affects only him. The Surfer finally manages to pierce Galactus' barrier once and for all by acting on the Thing's simple suggestion of trying to pass through without his surfboard. He passes through and once in space he summons his board to him, they could pass through seperately but not together.

    It was easier and made the movie easier to write and give it a story with a beginning and ending leading to another beginning to just rearrange it and play off the fact that 95% of the people they were targeting as an audience never even read the comic and the ones that did probably couldn't remember the way it happened anyway.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

    Exactly. That happened in Silver Surfer Volume 3, #1. It was the last Surfer comic run, going from '87 to '98. (The part where the Surfer escapes Earth happens in this issue).

    I disagree with your last statement. Most fans of either Fantastic Four or the Surfer who have seen this movie can remember exactly the way the comic happened...that's why there's such a big uproar over the way the movie was handled.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with your last statement. Most fans of either Fantastic Four or the Surfer who have seen this movie can remember exactly the way the comic happened...that's why there's such a big uproar over the way the movie was handled. </div></div>

    Why I'm glad I didn't pay to see it watched it online.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •